Take Action: Hold Israel Accountable by Ending Military Aid
joking aside, Biden had strong words for Israeli leaders last week.
Help us translate the Obama Administration's promise of accountability
into action (Official White House Photo by David Lienemann).
|Last week, Vice President Biden promised that the Obama Administration would hold Israel "accountable for any statements or actions that inflame tensions or prejudice the outcome of talks." We couldn't agree more.
That's why we've been busy hitting the media with this one consistent message: the Obama Administration needs to translate its promise into action by ending military aid to Israel as a consequence for its ongoing violations of U.S. and international law and its defiance of U.S. policy goals.
In the last few weeks, we published an op-ed in the Huffington Post, were cited at the top of an article in Ha'aretz on reactions to Biden's comments, and took to the airwaves in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston, Chicago, New York, and even Kingston, Jamaica to get our point across.
Now it's your turn. As we approach Tax Day-April 15-here
are ten ways for you to take action to help us press the Obama
Administration and Congress for accountability and an end to U.S.
military aid to Israel:
1) Send a letter to your Members of Congress opposing the President's FY2011 budget request for $3 billion in military aid to Israel by clicking here.
2) Join a conference call tonight, Thursday, Mar. 18, 9PM Eastern, to hear activists share their inspiring ideas for Tax Day actions and find out how to get involved. Listen to a podcast recording of the call by clicking here.
3) If you're coming to Washington, DC for the anti-war protest on Saturday, March 20 at the White House, and would like to help us distribute and collect signatures on postcards to President Obama calling on him to end U.S. military aid to Israel, click here.
4) Sign up as a volunteer organizer to challenge military aid to Israel, and we'll send you an organizing packet with postcards to the President, petitions to Congress, fact sheets, flyers, and more. Sign up today to get your packet in time for Tax Day by clicking here.
5) Set up a meeting with your Members of Congress during spring recess, March 29-April 9, to discuss your opposition to U.S. military aid to Israel. Find talking points and resources for your meeting by clicking here. 6) Organize a Tax Day action outside your local post office.
On April 15, last-minute tax filers line up at local post offices to
get their tax returns in before the deadline, and local newspapers and
TV stations often show up to interview people. This is a great
opportunity to organize an action outside of your local post office and educate the people waiting in line how their tax dollars are being used. Get an organizing packet for your action and more details by clicking here.
7) Host a Tax Day house party to educate your friends, family, neighbors, and coworkers about the effects of U.S. military aid to Israel. If you organize a house party, we'll send you a copy of the award-winning documentary Occupation 101, or you can organize an April 18 live internet broadcast of a hearing, "Does U.S. Policy on Israel and Palestine Uphold Our Values?" Sign up to organize a house party and get more details by clicking here.
8) Find out how much military aid to Israel
your state, Congressional district, county, and city will provide and
what that money could have been used for instead in your community on
our new website aidtoisrael.org. Find out by clicking here.
9) Watch our new video of us encouraging President Obama to hold Israel accountable and then tell all your friends about it. Watch the video by clicking here.
10) Last but not least, make a tax-deductible contribution to us in
increments of $19.19 to "offset" the average U.S. taxpayer contribution to Israeli military occupation this year. We'll send you one of each of these stickers below for each person's contribution you offset. To make your tax-deductible contribution, please click here.
Thanks for taking action!